According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentists, a tooth cavity Is one of the most chronic diseases prevalent in children. They report that kids are more susceptible to being affected by a cavity than asthma or obesity. When a tooth cavity is left untreated, children can suffer from pain impacting their lives! We strongly encourage making dental check-ups a part of the back-to-school checklist and supply and clothes shopping. Another benefit of a healthier smile is cute school pictures for your family to remember!
Untreated cavities can lead to pain, making eating and speaking difficult for children. Emergency dental care to relieve pain to care for cavities can lead to missed school or distractions, negatively affecting their overall school performance.
How to help your child have a healthier school year:
- Schedule their dental check-up before the school year or when they are on break!
- Don’t forget to put toothbrushes, floss, and toothpaste as part of your back-to-school shopping list!
- When packing their snacks and lunches, fill them with nutritious snacks that are good for their overall health.
- Choose water over sugary drinks, so add a fun water bottle to your shopping list, which may encourage them to stay hydrated.
- Ensure your child brushes their teeth before school and at least once more before bedtime.
- If your child is playing sports, make sure to wear a mouthguard to protect their mouth!
Going back to school can provide an excellent routine to help children and parents stay on track.
Reminding your kids to brush their teeth before school and again before bedtime ensures the minimum amount of brush needed daily, which is twice a day! Don’t forget to include flossing during one of those brushing times! It is also recommended to supervise your children until they have the necessary motor skills to brush and floss their teeth independently.
Dental Contact Information
On top of having the emergency contact for your child with the school, it would also be beneficial to have the business cards of your dentists somewhere in their backpacks or school files. A huge benefit to having your dentist’s contact information on file is if a tooth gets knocked out, and the faster this is resolved, the more likely your dentist will be able to save it!
Carson City Pediatric Dentistry is here for your child’s dental needs. Schedule an exam and cleaning with our team today!